The Book Thief
My Rating: C-
Notes: If I had seen the movie first, rather than reading the book first, I probably would have liked the movie more. It's hard to make a phenomenal book like this into a really good movie. Death narrating the book was hard on the movie and I found the narrator they chose patronizing, as if he were reading a children's story to a group of pre-school kids. The movie lacked emotion and the intricate history of the people in this town they live in was lost on the movie. Though I found the movie to be lacking depth I have to remember I am comparing it to The Book Thief which was so deep you probably could have fallen inside and been lost forever in a pit of black depth-ness, while in the movie it was only deep enough that you would have fallen in, gotten a few scratches and then eventually would have climbed to the top. Overall, it wasn't horrible, but having read the book first I didn't particularly like it either.
-Sarah Elisabeth
When the world stopped spinning, we were still reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment